Friday, June 9, 2006

MySpace Blog 20060609

When White Folks Were White and Black Folks Were Black

Okay. . . let me preface this by saying I understand that times are different: internet, MTV, and racial equality. Hahahahahahahahahaha. . . had to laugh at the last one. Sorry.

So, here’s what’s funny to me. I remember the 80’s. I moved from Philly to Wilmington Delaware. That’s where I was exposed to white radio. You know those stations that would play ONE Luther song and then drop some John Cougar Mellencamp and some Pat Benatar. I was trying to get WDAS-FM on my clock radio but could only get 98FM (don’t remember the call letters). I remember songs like ”Abracadabra” and ”Jack & Diana.” ANYWAY. . . .

The white boys at my junior high school used to rock Pink Floyd t-shirts, as well as, AC/DC and Kiss. The brothas were b-boy’d down with Nike’s, Puma’s, and Adidas with the fat laces. There was a separation of cultures. White boys were white boys and brothas were brothas. They weren’t trying to dance like us and we weren’t fucking with Madonna.

THEN. . .

MTV and Run DMC happened. ”Walk This Way” made some things change. Michael Jackson’s ”Thriller” hit MTV and it was on. BET was still trying to figure out what it wanted to do but it showed mostly R&B videos. Remember Alexander O’Neal with Cherrelle?? Then they’d drop a Salt-N-Pepa video from time to time. Anyway, that’s just me reminiscing.

AND NOW...

I go to the local club for ladies night to get some people-watching in and what do I see? White girls doing ”that step” that they do. The one that looks like they’ve been practicing it for a LONG time in the mirror or maybe their ONE black female friend taught them a little something. And then you have the frat white boys who try their HARDEST to keep a beat but they have that Bubba Sparxx or Paul Wall spirit running through them. LOOK. . . THESE ARE ANOMALIES!!! Eminem aint the NORM!!!

PLEASE STOP IT!!!!

DON’T GET ME WRONG. . . .

I’m glad that Hip Hop has transcended race, but it’s funny to me. Do you think I could just roll up in a frat party on Rugby Road (that’s a block over from frat row @ UVA) where they are CLEARLY playing some Lil Jon and rock it with them?? Doubt it. LOL. On the flip, let a white couple roll up in a Delta Sigma Theta party @ the Panda Garden (yes, the black undergrads don’t have a REAL place to have a party) and try to do ”that step.” They’d be laughed at and ridiculed, but they’d be able to stay though (that’s another blog).

I REMEMBER THE TIME. . . .

White boys were white boys: rhythmless and listening to guitar-heavy bands with big hair. White girls were white girls: a little less rhythmless and listening to Madonna, Pat Benatar, the Bangles, etc. As far as the dance floor was concerned, there was some separation. Now I can’t go to a club that’s majority white and see a dude or a girl NOT doing some ”black” dance step.

WHAT THIS COMMENTARY IS NOT. . . .

This is not a manifesto of disappointment. I’m only making an observation. I have had this very conversation before with many friends: white and black. I refuse to believe that Brad listens to Jay-Z when he’s hanging with Doug and John. Nor do I believe that Becky is kicking Young Jeezy when she picks up Jennifer and Susan to head to the mall.
CHARLOTTESVILLE. . . A WORLD APART. . . .

This is a special ”city.” I dj at a club that plays mostly ”black” top 40 music but caters to a mostly white crowd. Dress codes keep out a ”particular element.” I hate long white t-shirts but brothas rock them like there aint NO OTHER gear to sport. And when a dress code says ”no long white tee’s,” are we to assume that it’s going to keep out more than just black guys???? Doubt it. (that’s another blog) I’m ambivalent at times about that whole issue. It is humorous to me however. GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

No comments: