Wednesday, March 8, 2006

MySpace Blog 20060308

The Ravings Of A Lunatic Dj

Well, like most ”deep” thoughts I have, the following comes from a typical pensive moment in the shower.

While not a well-known fact, I tend to believe that most folks can envision me listening to music during my showers since I listen to music constantly (for better or for worse – regarding the completion of my degree). In the shower, I need something that I can either move to or be melancholy about so I head to my trust ipod for either my ”Smooth Soul,” ”Izm’s Soul,” ”Melancholy,” or ”HouzMixes” playlist. The latter of them usually wins out since I tend to shower in the morning and need to wake up.

Anyway (sorry for the long intro), I’m grooving to the latest house mix by Dj Michael Fossati. I don’t know him from a can of paint but he puts out a weekly house mix of new stuff. In the midst of my grooving to some soulful afro-cuban-laced beat with gospel-like lyrics, I start lamenting my upcoming dj night. Why? Well, the plain fact of the matter is that I don’t get to play ”this” kind of music when I dj. I used to a LONG time ago, but it didn’t bring in the crowds and that seems to be what it’s all about these days: how many covers at the door! The deep house crowd doesn’t exist in Charlottesville or they’re not large enough to carry a night. As such, I end up playing a set of mostly top 40 hip POP crap. No disrespect to my southern folks, but I can say that I MOSTLY hate this southern-style hip POP. Do we have enough songs about teeth fixture, cars, wheels, half-naked women, and body parts? I guess not. And must the beats per minute be so damn low?? I’m often in the booth looking for someone to slow dance with me. I mean geez. 70 BPM!?!?! That’s slow enough to be an old Marvin Gaye grind song! Now, this blog is nothing new. I just find myself going through periods of re-evaluation regarding my role in promoting this HORRIBLE music. Outside of Ludacris, OutKast, and Cee-Lo, I can’t really say that the confederate states have produced any REAL creativity!! I’m sure there will be those of you who will read this and cite Lil Jon, but please don’t!

I can’t really say what moves the club anymore. Why? In my opinion, folks, nowadays, are just moving to what they hear on the radio. If you were to make me listen to Lil Jon (for example – not to pick on him solely) 5 to 10 times a day, after a while, I’d probably find something redeeming in the beat, at least. Folks don’t seem to go exploring anymore. I have folks coming up to me telling me about (mainly neo-soul) artists that they’re hearing and I’m like, ”I’ve known about this person or group for a few years!” No, they didn’t get airplay. No, they weren’t heavily promoted. So, how did you find out about them? Exploration and good old Amazon.com. You’ve got to the love the old ”People who purchased this artist, also purchased, blah, blah, blah!” So, I give it a listen. If it’s good, it’s on the ipod. But I digress.

What is it that you want Michael?!?!?! I want EVERYONE to feel what I feel when ”Brand New Day” by Lil Louie Vega featuring Blaze comes on. I want them to hear that latin-inspired beat and just lose their minds. I want to hear chanting in the room, whistles blowing, screams for MORE, and a throng that moves in unison to the same beat. I’ve experienced this in DC, Baltimore, New York, and Philadelphia. I want that shit in Virginia, specifically Charlottesville.

Like I said. This was a raving of a lunatic dj! I’m living in a fantasy world where everyone downloads mixes from www.deephousepage.com or thismix.com or www.spiritofhouse.com. I’m hearing a 4/4 beat moving at 125 BPM’s with warm pads, deep basslines, and lyrics that talk of love, feeling the rhythm, coming together, and having a good time. I’ve never had to duck from a bottle being thrown during a fight or worried about gun shots at a club that played that music. I watched, a few months back, a video of a house music ”cookout” at a park in Baltimore. I saw little kids, teenagers, adults, and folks a little more mature all swaying to the same beat. People were smiling and getting sweaty. This is what I want for the folks at the club I dj @. It’ll never happen though. The owner wants to make money and, at the end of the day, I’m probably only one of 4 or 5 people who even want to hear it.

. . . all is not lost though. . . I’m swaying as I type this. . . I’m in my fantasy world. . . somebody’s pounding the keys. . . I hear vibe sounds. . . the repetitive nature of the beat makes me forget my troubles. . . I living in the sound and my body can’t help but move. . . aches and pains fade away to give me enough relief to just lose it. . . I’m not 35 anymore. . . youthful exuberance and sheer physical invincibility make me want to dance until the sun shines in my eyes. . . .

...and then...we’ll do it again....

No comments: