Saturday, January 3, 2009

What Is The New Thirty?

A 20-something Man Trapped In a 30-something Man’s Body

I occasionally breeze through one of three of my magazines: Remix, URB, and Mac|Life. It’s usually when I stroll through URB that I feel my age. I find that I have hobbies that belong to a young man and the pages of URB make me recognize that the man in the mirror aint necessarily the man in the magazine!

I listen to dance music, correction, deep soulful house music. I still like to shake my ass and get my sweat on at a club that caters to this genre. I’m terminally attached to my Macbook (Pro) and my creative side rules my attention span more than my occupational side. I enjoyed being a club Dj (and a mobile Dj). I spend countless hours on Logic and Reason making beats that will never make it to the ears of anyone else (but my sweetie). And, I truly believe I could be very happy in Sketchers, Jeans, and v-neck t-shirts, kicking it on the beach with said laptop and my ipod (playing a little Aya, of course).

These are not the ideals of a 30-something year old man.

Generation X wonders Why....

They say that youth is wasted on the young and I find this little adage to be a truism as I wander into the twilight of my 30’s. When I was “young and dumb,” I can’t really say that I didn’t enjoy myself to the fullest, but I find my habits as a more seasoned man would probably have a better fit in my less enlightened era. Who can say? I certainly haven’t found myself writing any lyrics lately. My rap days are over even if the poet in me refuses to die! But I wonder why my generation couldn’t have benefitted from some of the luxuries of THIS generation. We grew up with BET and MTV in their infancy and remember the Grandmasters, The Treacherous, The Fearless, and Rockmasters. We now struggle with the Lil’s and Young’s. I love lyrical skills and can certainly dig a good beat, but I feel that youth is truly wasted on the young. LYRICS folks!!! Get with it!!!

In any event...back on track....

Give me my 30-something wisdom and focus mixed with my young mind, exuberance, and desire. Pour it into a younger body. And, hell, while we’re dreaming, put a couple of extra bucks in my pocket. Ahhh, perfection!

Shall I spill a little more envy on the screen?

Perhaps.

No comments: